History

The National Agricultural University is a leading institution of higher education in Ukraine. The history of it begins with the date of foundation of the Department of Agriculture within the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute (KPI) structure, which transformed into the Faculty of Agricultural faculty in 1918. Kyiv Agricultural Institute was created in KPI on the basis of this faculty, and in 1923 this Institute became the independent educational institution. From 1930 till 1934, Kyiv Institute of Agronomy, Kyiv Institute of Mechanization and Electrification of Agriculture, Kyiv Ag Engineering Institute of Sugar Industry and Ag Economics Institute had been formed and begun their activity there. These institutes were later reorganized into independent research institutes and faculties.

Kyiv Forestry Institute began its history in 1840 from the Faculty of Forestry of the Institute of Agriculture and Forestry in the city of Marimont (Poland) which moved to the city Novoaleksandria (now Pulavy) in 1862. After the beginning of the 1st World War (1914) the Novoaleksandrian Institute of Agriculture and Forestry was transferred to Kharkiv and in 1921 it became Kharkiv Institute of Agriculture and Forestry. In 1930 the Forestry faculty of Kharkiv Agrarian Institute was united with the Forest Engineering faculty of Kyiv Agrarian Institute. As the result Ukrainian Forest Technical Institute appeared and was reorganized into Kyiv Forestry Institute the same year.

In 1954 Kyiv Agricultural Institute was united with Ukrainian Forestry Institute into the single institution – Ukrainian Agricultural Academy (UAA).

During the period of 1956-1962 UAA was the educational department of Ukrainian Academy of Agricultural sciences.

In 1957 Kyiv Veterinarian Institute was added to its structure. Kyiv Veterinarian Institute begins its history with the Veterinarian faculty of KPI (1920) which was transformed into the independent institution of higher education – Kyiv Veterinarian and Stock-breeding Institute from which Kyiv Veterinarian Institute separated in 1930.

Since 1962 UAA had become subordinated to the Ministry of Agriculture of the USSR.

In 1982 the subsidiary of the Academy in Vinnytsya was founded and in 1991 it became the independent institution (now Vinnytsya State Agrarian University).

During the years 1985-1990 UAA had been helping in and coordinating the activities aimed for creating an agricultural institute in the city of Pnom-Penh (Cambodia).

On the basis of UAA National Agrarian University was founded in august 1992. According to the Decree of the Verhovna Rada (the Parliament) of Ukraine №158 made on July 29, 1994, it received the status of National. Since that time it has been being named National Agrarian University and in accordance with the decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine № 387 made on June 1, 1995, it is under the functional rule of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.

Accordingly to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of April 23 1996 #448 and of May 29 1997 #526 Nizhyn (Chernigiv region) and Berezhany (Ternopil region) Agrotechnical Colleges, Irpin Economic Technical School, Boyarka, Nemishaevo (Kyiv region) and Zalischyky (Ternopil region) Agricultural Technical Schools were included into the structure of NAUU. Their rights of legal persons are saved. In 1999 due to accreditation results Irpin and Nemishaevo Technical Schools were granted with status "College" and in 2002 Nizhyn and Berezhany Colleges received status "Institute" .

Accordingly to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 28.07.2004 № 517-р., joint Order of Ministry of Agricultural Policy of Ukraine and National Agricultural University of 18.08.2004 р. № 304/377 the Southern Branch "Crimean Agrotechnological University" of National Agricultural Universit y was created (vil. Agrarne, Simpferopol, AR Crimea) as the structural subdivision with the individual rights of legal person. It was established at the basis of Crimean State Agrotechnological University that is being liquidated together with its structural subdivisions (Order of Labour Red Flag Agroindustrial College, Bahchysaray Branch Order of Labour Red Flag Agroindustrial College, Prybrezhnensk Technical School, and Technical School of Hydromelioration and Mechanization of Agriculture).

According to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 7.12.2005  №497 «About reorganization of Bobrovick National agro-economic Technical School» Bobrovick National Agro-economic Technical School  added to the National Agrarian University.

The Edict of the President of Ukraine # 1338 signed on December 14, 2000 under the title “The point of National Agricultural University” and the resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine # 202 made on March 1 “About National Agricultural University” gave NAU the status of state self-governed (autonomous) institution of higher education and a number of other commissions.
According to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 02.10.2003, № 584 in the structure of National Agrarian University was established Ukrainian laboratory of quality and safety of agriculture.

According to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 14.02.2007, № 47 "About reorganization of Mukachevskiy State Agricultural College" Mukachevskiy State Agricultural College was incorporated to the National Agrarian University.

According to the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of 27.08.2008, № 742 was formed Ukrainian educational-science institute of information and telecommunication support of agro-industrial and environmental branch of economics as a separate unit of the National Agrarian University.

For widening of educational, research and innovation activities of the National Agrarian University to meet the needs of the agro-industrial, environmental and other branches of economics, as well as the need to adapt these activities to the requirements of international organizations of research Universities according to  the Decree of Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on October 30, 2008 № 945 National Agrarian University renamed to the National University of Life and Environmental Science of Ukraine (NUBiP).

The same decree approved the composition of the supervisory board of the University and made amendments to its Charter. University according to the status of higher educational institutions has IV level of accreditation, is the research type institution, which conducts educational, scientific-research, scientific-innovation, educational-industrial and information-advisory activities aimed at developing of modern problems of life science and environment , use, reproduction and balanced development of biological resources in land and water ecosystems, the introduction of new environmental agro-biotechnology, technology of recovery of safety and  soil fertility, energy-saving agro-technologies, environmental and legal management in rural areas, monitoring and control for observance of standards, quality and safety of agricultural production, products of its processing and  environment.

 

Press-centreTo Applicants (синій)Regional Educational Institutions (синій)