Research, innovative and international work of NULES of Ukraine is coordinated by the Vice-Chancellor for Research, Innovations and International Activities and Research Department, which provides methodological guidance for and control over research and supports the connection between the research units, Administration of the university, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, the State Committee of Ukraine on Science and Intellectual Property and other research institutions and organizations.
The efforts of the scientists of the National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine are aimed at fundamental research and applied scientific and technical developments in the field of plant biology, animal biology, biotechnology, chemistry, applied mechanics, physics, ecology, economics, pedagogy, etc.
Scientists of the university conduct research in the following areas:
1. Fundamental research in the fields of study of biological resources and sustainable environmental resources management in Ukraine and training of specialists in corresponding fields of study:
Biology and chemistry of plants, soil, water and air (biodiversity, morphology, physiological chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology, virology, entomology, parasitology, genetic engineering, ecology, hydrobiology, climatology, quality and safety of plant bioresources).
Biology of animals and micro-organisms (biodiversity, morphology, physiology, biochemistry, immunology, genetics, microbiology, virology, parasitology, biotechnology, genetic engineering, ecology, hydrobiology, climatology, quality and safety of animal bioresources).
- Chemistry and biochemistry of biologically active substances. Materials science.
- Mathematics, physics, mechanics, computer science, telecommunications, energetics in sustainable environmental resources management.
- Humanitarian, socio-political, administrative, educational and philological sciences (history, philosophy, sociology, cultural studies, political economy and strategic management in normal and extreme conditions).
- Environmental problems and improvement of quality of life of people in rural areas.
- Social and economic policy in rural areas.
2. Applied research in the fields of study of biological resources and sustainable environmental resources management in Ukraine and training of specialists in corresponding fields of study:
- Theory and practice of increasing the quantity and improving the quality of plant (agricultural, food, pharmaceutical, etc.) bioresources and ensuring sustainable environmental resources management.
- Theory and practice of increasing the quantity and improving the quality of forest bioresources and ensuring sustainable environmental resources management. Recycling of wood. The global importance of forests.
- Theory and practice of increasing the quantity and improving the quality of animal and aquatic bioresources and ensuring sustainable environmental resources management.
- Veterinary medicine and phyto-sanitary and veterinary control of agricultural and food raw materials and ready forage and food products.
- Methods of control of quality and safety of bioresources. Quality Management. Ecosafe agricultural and food technologies.
- Engineering and technology in environmental resources management; storage and processing of agricultural and food (forage) products. Mechanical engineering, technical management and services, industrial and residential construction in rural areas.
- Power engineering. Safety precautions and protection of labour in environmental resources management.
- Biosocial economy and sustainable environmental resources management. Trade. Financial management.
- Land management and cadastre. Legal regulation of bioresources and sustainable environmental resources management.
- Information and telecommunication ensuring of sustainable environmental resources management and monitoring of biological resources.
Scientific research is carried out by 2971 scientific and pedagogical employees, among who there are 316 doctors and professors, 1287 associate professors and candidates of sciences. Among the scientists there are 2 Heroes of Ukraine, 16 Academicians of NAS of Ukraine and NAAS of Ukraine, 25 Corresponding Members of the NAS of Ukraine and NAAS of Ukraine, 51 members of public academies, 21 Honoured Workers of Science and Technology of Ukraine, 13 Honoured Workers of Education and National Education of Ukraine, 2 Honoured Workers of Higher Education, 2 Honoured Inventors of Ukraine, 4 Honoured Economist of Ukraine, Honorary Doctor of Veterinary Medicine of Ukraine, 2 Honoured Workers of Veterinary Medicine of Ukraine, 1 Honoured Forester of Ukraine, 1 Honoured Lawyers of Ukraine, 4 Honoured Workers of Culture and Sports of Ukraine, 3 Honoured Master of Folk Art of Ukraine, 1 Honoured Power Engineer of Ukraine,1 Honoured Builders of Ukraine, 10 Honoured Workers of Agriculture etc.
More than 27 doctoral students, 610 postgraduate students and 50 employees of research stations and teaching and research farms are involved into scientific research.
Scientific achievements of the scientists of the university are a significant contribution to the development of agro-industrial complex of Ukraine. In 2013, as a result of extensive research among the achievements of the university were creation of:
In 2013, the State Prize in Science and Technology for a series of scientific papers "Mechanisms of functioning of the digestive system" was awarded to a group of authors, including V.A.Hryschenko, M.I.Tsvilihovskyi, L.H.Kalachnyuk, .
According to the Decree of the President of Ukraine based on the submission to the Committee on the State Prize of Ukraine in Science and Technology, the annual Award of the President of Ukraine for Young Scientists in 2012 was awarded to the Candidate of Chemical Sciences, Associate Professor, D.A. Savchenko and the Candidate of Chemical Sciences, N.M. Prokopchuk, for their work "Synthesis and thermal transformations of heterometallic aquaaminophosphates".
In addition, the Prize of the President of Ukraine in the field of science and technology for young scientists was awarded to the Candidate of Technical Sciences, O.O. Brovarets and the Candidate of Veterinary Sciences, M.V. Galat. In 2012 holders of the scholarship for young scientists granted by the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine were A.M. Bilous, S.V. Drahnev, A.A. Petryshyna, D.P. Umanets, V.V. Samsonova, A.A. Klyuvadenko.
With the purpose of resolving urgent scientific and technological problems of agricultural and environmental sectors at regional and global level,
the university conducts research in the framework of the following research projects: IAEA, the Seventh Framework Programme (FP-7), GESAPU, IWAS, etc.
NULES of Ukraine closely cooperates with many international organizations, namely:
- Global Confederation of Higher Education Associations for the Agricultural and Life Sciences (GCHERA);
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations;
- National Commission of Ukraine for UNESCO Project "Man and Biosphere";
- European Association EUROSCIENCE;
- European Association of Veterinary Anatomists;
- Association for European Life Science Universities;
- Centre for Agriculture, Science, and Environmental Education;
- European network of International Relations Officers;
- Federation of Veterinarians of Europe;
- International Fertilizer Society;
- International Council of MBA in Agribusiness;
- Engineering Society for Advancing Mobility Land Sea Air and Space;
- Visegrad University Association;
- Network of Aquaculture Centres in Central-Eastern Europe;
- Global Fire Monitoring Centre in Germany;
- Forest Service of the U.S.A;
- Institute for Climate and Environment;
- National Academy of Sciences of France;
- School of Environment and Resources Management (Warsaw);
- European Forest Institute;
- Kavala Institute, Greece;
- Global Fire Monitoring Centre and etc.
FP-7 project “Geoinformation technologies, spatio-temporal approaches, and full carbon account for improving accuracy of GHG inventories” (GESAPU) (2011-2014)
FP-7 project (Black Sea Basin action) “Utilizing Stream Waters in the Suppression of Forest Fires with the help of New Technologies” (2013-2014)
International regional project RER9/123 of IAEA on technical cooperation with Ukraine, Russian Federation and Republic of Belarus “Supporting the return to normal radiological environmental conditions for the territories affected by the Chernobyl accident”
· “Adaptation of responding system to emergency situations ICS in Ukraine" (2012 - 2014), Forest Service of the U.S.A;
· "The development of breeding technologies for Christmas trees of elite selection from the U.S.A.” (2009-2014), University of Pennsylvania;
· “Improvement of protection of forests from fires in Eastern Europe in the framework of the activities conducted by UNECE "(2008-2014), GFMC
· “Adaptation to climate change in silviculture” (2010-2014), European Commission. Cost Action
· “Conserving, Enhancing and Managing Carbon Stocks and Biodiversity while Promoting Sustainable Development in The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone through the Establishment of a Research and Environmental Protection Centre and Protected Area” (2012-2013), Global Environment Facility